|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi period metal object scatter|
Metal detecting at this site has recovered a large number of metal objects dating from the Iron Age to post medieval periods. Particularly noteworthy finds include a post medieval lead powder charger cap, an Iron Age or Roman terret and a medieval dagger quillon.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 29 13|
|Parish:||RACKHEATH, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Before 19 November 2003. Metal detecting (E2927).
Sixteen metal objects, late post medieval or undatable apart from:
Post medieval lead powder charger cap, both basal loops broken. Height 19mm, ovoid base 23 x 16mm. Later 17th century.
Post medieval fragment of copper alloy rowel spur: meeting of triangular section sides with bulbous moulding of neck springing from a low lozengiform moulding. Probably 17th century.
E. Rose (NLA) 27 January 2004.
Before 1 April 2004. Metal detecting.
15th/16th century jetton.
Iron Age/Roman terret and linch pin terminal (S1).
Medieval dagger quillon.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 27 May 2004.
- FINDSPOT (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- HARNESS FITTING (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- LINCH PIN (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DAGGER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- JETTON (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- POWDER MEASURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ROWEL SPUR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: NLA. Finds Photograph. |
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: White, S.. 2004. Drawing of an Iron Age linchpin top.. Film. 2:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...