Record Details

NHER Number:436
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of St Michael at Thorn's Church, Norwich


The Norman church of St Michael at Thorn, also known as St Michael at Ber Street, or St Miles on the Hill, was destroyed by an enemy bomb in 1942.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2325 0812
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

Also known as at Ber Street, or St Miles on the Hill.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

Church extensively damaged by incendiary bombs which destroyed the roof and gutted the interior.
Although the repair of the church was considered in 1948 the remains were subsequently demolished.
See costings document (S1) for further details and an axiometric sketch showing the condition of the church ruins at this time.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 19 September 2017.

1970s or 1980s. Norwich Survey.
Church considered as part of Norwich Survey.
See copies of miscellaneous notes and images from Alan Carter Archive in file.
T. E. Miller (NLA), 22 March 2006. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 19 September 2017.

The 1964 medieval and post medieval sherds from pre road widening clearance into the churchyard of this site has been entered under NHER 2.
R. Fillery-Travis (NLA), 1 March 2007.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to World War Two - 1066 AD to 1942 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Manning, C. R. 1872. Ancient Lecterns Preserved in Norfolk Churches. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VII pp 122-127. p 124.
---Serial: 1964. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1964. No 11. p 5.
---Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No N38; p 175.
---Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. pp 134-136.
---Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. pp 184-185.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 264.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 247.
---Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. pp 63-64.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Chaplin, J. P. 1948. Norwich, St Michael at Thorn [details of proposed repairs].

Related records

Site 769Parent of: 26 Ber Street (St Michael at Thorn) (Monument)
2Parent of: Human remains, Late Saxon to post medieval pottery sherds (Monument)
Mon 526Parent of: St Michael at Thorn Church (Monument)
Mon 1238Parent of: St Michael at Thorn Church Yard (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service