Record Details

NHER Number:39764
Type of record:Building
Name:Cawston Park Hospital, formerly Cawston College, previously Manor House


A late 19th century manor house, in the Tudor style. Construction is of red brick with stone dressings. The house was converted to a public school in 1964 and is now a secure hospital.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 16374 24595
Map Sheet:TG12SE

Full description

August 2003. Listed, Grade II.
Constructed (in area of original manor house) by Sir Ernest George and Alfred Yeates for George Cawston, 1896. Converted to school in 1964. Red brick with stone dressings, tile roofs. Ornamental brick multi flue stacks. Restrained Tudor style with stone mullioned details. U-plan comprises main south wing and 2 north service wings. (S1) gives detailed external description and sources, states interior not inspected but beamed plaster ceilings reported.
Listed as finely detailed country house by a leading architectural practice.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 25 September 2003.

(S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 April 2004.

March 2010.
The hospital closed in late 2009 and has been put up for sale.
See (S3) for further details,
H. White, (NLA), 9 April 2010

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (19th Century - 1896 AD to 1896 AD)
  • SCHOOL (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1964 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 431.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF1978.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1390561.
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Collapsed fraud trial hospital for sale. 17 March.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service