|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St John's Church, Great Yarmouth|
St John the Evangelist's church was founded as a chapel for beachmen and fishermen and was built by J.H. Hakewill, in 1857. The church is in simple Early English style throughout despite being extended and altered throughout the 19th century and early 20th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 5299 0717|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
St John's Church.
Founded as chapel for beachmen and fishermen, built by J.H. Hakewill, in 1857. South aisle and chancel aisle added 1859, north aisle, transept and organ chamber 1878; south transept by Bottle and Olley 1883, windows and furnishings altered 1908. The church is in simple Early English style throughout.
See report (S1) in file.
December 1976. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Church. 1857. By JH Hakewill, with later alterations. Flint with red brick and ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Comprising a nave, apsed chancel and south porch. 1859 south aisle added by AW Morant, nave extended west 1866, north aisle, transept and north chancel aisle 1878, south transept and vestry 1884 by Bottle & Olley. Restored 1989.
EXTERIOR: Three gables to west end, pierced by triple paired lancets to nave, double paired lancets to north aisle, a single paired lancet to south aisle. Paired lancets to north and south aisle flanks. Two paired lancets to the transept facades under a foiled plate-tracery circle. South transept with a polygonal turret terminating in an open lantern under a pyramid roof, relocated in 1884. Apsed east end, the walls again with lancets. Set to the east but linked by a covered passage is the vestry: hexagonal, two lancets to each facet, pyramid roof with lantern.
INTERIOR: hexagonal vestry with a boarded ceiling. Nave with six-bay arcade of circular columns on waterholding bases. On north there are sea-weed capitals, on the south stiff-leaf capitals. Low pointed arches with red brick banding. Scissor-braced nave and aisle roofs, boarded to north aisle. Roll-moulded chancel and sanctuary arches. Sanctuary has clustered colonnettes to the lancet windows. Plain octagonal font on clustered keeled columns."
Information from (S2).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 14 March 2022.
(S3) adds extensions in 1866 and 1868.
E. Rose (NLA) 6 January 1996.
2006. Some of the pews are still marked 'Reserved for seafarers, their wives and children.'
Information from the Norwich Diocese Advisory Committee.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 December 2006.
June 2011. Eastern Daily Press.
More than £150, 000 of lottery funding has been awarded to support vital repairs to three grade two listed Norfolk churches. St John's church in Great Yarmouth, has received £104, 000, St Spyridon's Greek Orthodox church in Great Yarmouth has been awarded £22, 000 and All Saints Church in Great Melton has received £27, 000. St John's church has a hexagonal vestry designed by Bottle and Olley, and was founded in 1858 to improve the moral and religious condition of the beachman, sailors and their families. Extensions took place in the 1860's and 1870's.
See (S4) for further details.
D. Lefeuvre (HES), 1 August 2011.
- CHURCH (19th Century to 21st Century - 1857 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Town's churches will have to close. 18 January. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 499-500. |
|---||Article in Serial: Boult, C.. 2005. St John's Church.. Yarmouth Archaeology. pp 37-38. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: DIF/JMC (Council for the Care of Churches). 1986. Great Yarmouth, St John the Evangelist, Norfolk (Norwich). 20 November. |
|<S2>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1271806. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Rye, G. 1993. Church Building in Great Yarmouth 1830-1900. Yarmouth Archaeology. pp 9-16. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. Three historic churches land grants for vital work. 16 June. |
Related records - none