Record Details

NHER Number:40172
Type of record:Building
Name:Inverleith, 13 Lime Tree Road

Summary

This house was built in 1908-9 by famous architect Percy Morley Horder and his partner A. G. Wyand for the company secretary of Norwich Union. It incorporated many 18th century features from their premises in Norwich which were demolished at that time. The construction is mainly of red brick with wall tiles and was modelled in the Vernacular Revival style. The interior has a Chinese Chippendale staircase, an intact butlers pantry and reused Delft tiles.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 21996 07047
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

February 2004. Listed, Grade II*.
1908-9 by Percy Morley Horder (a famous architect) and A. G. Wyand (his partner) for the company secretary of Norwich Union (an insurance firm) and incorporating many 18th century features from their premises in Norwich demolished at that time. Red brick and wall tiles in Vernacular Revival style. Central carriage arch to carefully contrived courtyard. Interior has Chinese Chippendale staircase and Arts and Crafts back stairs; 18th century fireplaces and Arts and Crafts grates; intact butlers pantry; reused Delft tiles.
For detailed description see (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose (NLA) 24 February 2004.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1908 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF8266.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1391059.
<S2>Publication: Weaver, L. (ed). 1911 (1983). Small Country Houses of Today. pp. 67-70. pp 67-70.

Related records

Site 1589Parent of: Daniels Road Allotments (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service