Record Details

NHER Number:4327
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Town Battery


The town battery was built in 1781 by the townspeople in an unusual hexagonal shape alongside a bulwark that was built in 1539. It is recorded as having thirty two 'pounders' in 1819 and at some date was reconstructed following the original plan. The guns were dismounted in 1836. The site is now under Euston Road and Marine Parade housing. There is some confusion in the records with NHER 4328.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 5306 0786
Map Sheet:TG50NW

Full description

Town Battery.
Built 1781 by towns people without waiting for government builders which is why it is hexagonal not star shaped. In good condition 1811, had thirty two pounders in 1819 and at some date was reconstructed on original lines. Guns dismounted 1836 and 'long removed' in 1851. (S1) shows site now under Euston Road and Marine Parade housing.
See (S1) for drawing and plan.
E. Rose (NAU), 10 May 1985.

Not included in 1858 rebuilding of other batteries.
See (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 6 August 1986.

(S3) shows a 'bulwark' of 1539 immediately adjacent to this fort.
E. Rose (NLA) 5 November 1998.

Monument Types

  • BATTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Publication: Evans, J. and Britton, J. 1810. The Beauties of England and Wales: or Delineations, Topographical, Historical and Descriptive of each County. Vol 11.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Yarmouth (Great).
<S1>Article in Serial: 1985. [unknown]. Yarmouth Archaeology. Vol 2, no 2, p 28.
<S2>Article in Serial: 1986. [unknown]. Yarmouth Archaeology. Vol 2, no 3, p 90.
<S3>Publication: Kent, P. 1988. Fortifications of East Anglia. p 196.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service