Record Details

NHER Number:4317
Type of record:Building
Name:Medieval priory cell and post-medieval Quaker meeting house


A Quaker meeting house of 1807, retaining many original features and adjoining burial ground. It stands on the site of a medieval Augustinian Priory cell, founded in 1339. A cellar, originally the ground floor of the cell, and four 15th-century window embrasures survive, together with other fragments of medieval stonework.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 5233 0754
Map Sheet:TG50NW

Full description

August 1974. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Friends Meeting House including burial ground walls...1692. Rebuilt 1807, on the site of a cell of the Augustinian Priory of Gorleston and re-using some material. Rendered and colourwashed brick under a pantiled roof.
EXTERIOR: Two storeys. West façade with a plinth course and a six-panelled door to the right under a plain overlight. To the right [of south return] is half of a rebated stone arch probably of 15th-century origin surviving from earlier building. Gabled roof with rebuilt stack on west slope.
INTERIOR: main hall with a plank dado and a raised bench to the north end with a panelled screen. At south end is a panelled balcony, now blocked, but with four rows of benches behind it at first-floor level. Roof of 20th-century principals carrying purlins. Undercroft opened out 1979-81. 1807 floor beams overhead. 1979 cast-iron columns and rolled steel joists. West wall with four 15th-century splayed window embrasures with stone jambs and sloping sills. Walls of flint and brick.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Three ranges of wall enclose a burial ground to east. North range of flint and brick with rendered coping, east range of brick is rendered over, south range of coursed flints."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 13 March 2022.

22 January 1980. Field Observation.
Quaker Meeting House and remains of Augustinian Priory Cell. Meeting House of 1807 with original fittings; arch from cell and cellar with probable window and door openings, and tree stumps.
See (S2) for full details.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU). Information from (S3).
P. Watkins (HES), 13 March 2022.

(S4) in file.

April 2009.
Proposal to replace existing flat lead roof with lean to pantiled roof that covers lobby and w.c.
See (S5) and (S6).
H. White (NLA), 29 April 2009

A cell of the Augustinian Priory of Gorleston was incorporated into a much later building. This building was then converted into a Friend's Meeting House. The present building incorporates the south wall and the left jamb and a portion of arch of a doorway from the medieval Priory cell. However, apart from these features, most of the building is from the 19th century and has large sash windows, rendered walls and a slate roof. The interior is divided into two rooms. The larger room is to the north, while there is a gallery above the south room.
To the east of the building is a burial ground, although there are no visible monuments.
Information from (S7).
M Langham-Lopez (HES), 15 October 2012.

Monument Types

  • CELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A.. 1995. TG5207/ABM,ABS,ABT.
---Drawing: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 501.
---Publication: Palmer, C. J. 1872-1875. The Perlustrations of Great Yarmouth, with Gorleston and Southtown. pp 323-325.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Yarmouth (Great).
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. 1271267.
<S2>Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S3>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1953. Ancient vaults are inspected at Yarmouth. 24 July.
<S5>Unpublished Document: Peter Codling Architects. 2009. Design and Access Statement. Friends Meeting House, Howard Street, Great Yarmouth.
<S6>Designation: Listed Building Consent.
<S7>Monograph: Stell, C. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. p 243.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service