Record Details

NHER Number:39325
Type of record:Building
Name:Trennel House, 26 The Street


A mid 16th century plastered timber framed house, much altered, extended to the south in the mid 17th century. It has a 20th century extension to the rear.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 03581 83224
Map Sheet:TM08SW

Full description

Listed Building description (S1) notes as 16th century hall house, floored over and extended to south in 17th century, with 20th century rear wing. Exterior all of late date; brick outshuts each end, one with crenellated screen wall. Interior has room to south with bridging beam resting on brackets attached to studs of heavy scantling with straight bracing. Jowled corner posts. Central room with inserted ceiling beam. Both rooms with 19th century fireplaces. Lobby entrance. North end consists of two service rooms and staircase; tiebeam, tension braces and jowled studs visible on stairs. Roof of jowled queen posts with longitudinal arched braces to purlins; secondary rafters are a 17th century replacement.
From this description it is hard to judge how the house was extended to the south; is the List suggesting it was a two cell end stack house?
Plan and details of suggested repairs (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 7 April 2003.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Photographs of Trennel House, 26 The Street, North Lopham.. black and white.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF3511.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1380288.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Hogg, J.. 2003. Building Details.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service