Record Details

NHER Number:38170
Type of record:Building
Name:Parish Rooms


Standing to the southwest of the the Old Rectory (NHER28554), this is its former barn, a brick building with a datestone of 1731, and the initials T. A., for Thomas Astley, the rector at the time. The barn was extended in 1853 (by a later Astley) to form a fire engine house, the parish fire engine having been kept in the church beforehand.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 03237 25084
Map Sheet:TG02NW

Full description

Barn, red brick and pantiles.
Gable wall to west with honeycomb brick ventilators and window, under arched heads; and plinth. Datestone T.A. 1731 below owl hole. Tumbled parapet gable with tie irons marked TA. Five blocked openings to churchyard and later windows. Barn doors to north large double span, two sets staggered butt purlins.
To north, engine house with plaque 1853; fire engine formerly kept in the church.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 25 March 2003.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FIRE ENGINE HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372924.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service