|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Naidens, The Common|
This timber framed house is probably an open hall house dating to the early 16th century. The chimneystack and upper floor have been inserted, and the building was re-roofed and a service cell added in the 17th century. The property underwent major alterations around 1800 with a new gable chimneystack, end extension and heightening of an 18th century wing. Further alterations were done in the 19th-20th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 24461 99514|
|Parish:||SHOTESHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
July 1989. Listed, Grade II.
House. 17th century with 18th century, 19th century and 20th century additions and alterations. Plastered timber frame on flint plinth with Flemish bond brick gable ends and extensions. Thatched roof with gabled ends. Brick axial and gable end stacks with 19th century brick paired and single shafts with cornices. Plan and Development: The main range in the original 3-room plan house with an axial stack and front lobby entrance between the centre and right hand rooms. The stack has back-to-back fireplaces heating the parlour on the right and kitchen at centre; the left end room was unheated. In circa late 17th century or early 18th century a 1-room plan wing was added to the front of the unheated left end roan and in the 18th century another 1-room plan wing was added to the front of the unheated left end room and in the 18th century another 1 -room plan addition was added to the left end of the main range. The parlour fireplace was converted into a china cupboard and a gable end stack built at the right end in late 18th century or early 19th century possibly about the time the single storey extension was built on the front left corner. In the 19th century an outbuilding was built on the front of the 17/18th century front wing and later in the 19th century an outshut was added to the rear of the right hand end. In the late 20th century another outshut was built at the rear, the left end was converted into the entrance hall and a single storey extension was built between the 2 front wings.
Exterior: 1 storey and attic. Asymmetrical approximately 4-window front with projecting gable-ended covings to left of centre and left. The main range to right is 2 windows wide with 20th century 3-light casements, the first floor in eyebrow dormers and with 20th century glazed door at centre. 2 storey gable-ended wing to left of centre has 20th century bay window on its right side and 19th century single storey outbuilding attached to gable end with plastered walls, gable-ended pantile roof, plank doors and 19th century iron frame casements with leaded panes. The hallway to left is also plastered and has thatched roof and the space between the 2 wings has been filled by 20th century single storey extension. At the rear late 19th century and 20th century single storey outshuts with pantile lean-to roofs, the smaller 19th century outshut to right has 2 gabled dormers above. The left hand (west) end (now the entrance front) has Flemish bond wall, 18th century 3-light casement with leaded panes on first floor and 20th century casements and door on ground floor. The right hand (east) gable end has brick external stack and small 20th century casements.
Interior: The right hank room (parlour) has a chamfered cross-beam with straight cut stops supported on moulded capitals or brackets carved onto the wall parts; A fielded 2-panel and a circa late 18th century or early 19th century segmental headed deep china cupboard with shaped shelves inserted into former fireplace in axial stack. The later stack on right hand end wall has 20th century fireplace. A small winder staircase to side of axial stack rising from parlour. The centre room (former kitchen) of original house has chamfered cross-beam with ogee stops and large open fireplace with timber lintel rebated to take shelf or overmantel and block bread oven. No exposed features in other rooms. The butt purlin roof of the main range is intact.
Information from (S1).
Timber framed house, probably an open hall early 16th century; may have been two open cells, or else with floored bays to each end. Stack and upper floor inserted, re-roofed, and perhaps service cell added, 17th century. Major alteration around 1800 with new gable chimneystack, end extension and heightening of an 18th century wing. Timber framed 17th century outbuilding attached. Further alterations 19th-20th century.
See report (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 9 December 2002.
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF9487. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373112. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2002. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...