Record Details

NHER Number:4146
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Medieval coins, pottery sherds, tile, oyster shell and animal remains


In 1959 a shortcross penny of Henry II or III, minted around 1205-1247, was recovered near to the site of St Guthlac's Chapel (NHER 4145). A number of medieval pottery sherds, floor tiles, iron slag, oyster shells, animal bones were also found. In 1987 a number of brown glazed tiles were also recovered.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8046 1087
Map Sheet:TF81SW

Full description

1959. West-northwest of chapel site.
Ploughing of the site of the graveyard of St. Guthlac's chapel revealed human remains (see NHER 4145), a shortcross penny of Henry II or III minted around 1205-1247, moneyer Adam medieval sherds 13th - 14th century, floor tiles, iron slag, oyster shells, animal bones.
Pottery in NCM. [1]
See (S1) for further details.
E. Rose (NAU) amended by M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 25 February 2013.

June 1987.
Mr Butters, Swaffham Museum, reports a number of brown glazed tiles over field at this point, similar to those from site
NHER 4145.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 5 June 1987.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Unknown date)
  • OYSTER SHELL (Unknown date)
  • ROOF TILE (Unknown date)
  • TILE (Unknown date)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 81 SW 20 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Article in Serial: Wilson, D. M. and Hurst, D. G. 1961. Medieval Britain in 1959. Medieval Archaeology. Vol IV (for 1960) pp 134-165. p 143.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service