|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Prehistoric and Iron Age features, Maytree Yard, Moore Drive|
An archaeological evaluation was carried out on this site by the NAU in 2002. The evaluation revealed a series of mid to late Iron Age boundary ditches, containing Iron Age pottery and a Mesolithic or Early Neolithic flint. A gully and a linear feature probably date to the prehistoric period, although they cannot be more closely dated.
Images - none
February 2002. Trial Trench.
Evaluation on site of proposed new pit unit. Contexts 1 to 16 used.
Archaeological features truncated by later ploughing were identified, excavated and recorded. Four parallel east-to-west aligned ditches were identified that contained pottery of probable Middle to Late Iron Age date and a small, presumably residual flint blade of Mesolithic or Early Neolithic date. These features probably represent the reinstatement of a boundary over a long period of time. A curvilinear gully and a north-to-south aligned linear feature were also identified. Although these features produced no datable artefacts it was though that they were most likely prehistoric and probably contemporaneous with the east to west ditches. An undated possible post hole was also found.
See report (S1) for further details. The results of this work was also summarised in (S2).
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2018.301).
J. Allen (NLA), 25 February 2002. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 16 November 2013 and 15 April 2019.
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- GULLY (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- LINEAR FEATURE (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FINDSPOT (Early Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 10000 BC to 3001 BC)
- DITCH (Middle Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 400 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 400 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT BOILER (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- BLADE? (Early Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 10000 BC to 3001 BC)
- POT (Middle Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 400 BC to 42 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: KCA. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Underdown, S. 2002. Report on an Archaeological Evaluation at Maytree Yard, Moor Drove, Hockwold-cum-Wilton, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 685. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2003. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk, 2002. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt II pp 368-384. p 372. |
Related records - none
Find out more...