|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||All Saints' Church, Litcham|
A medieval and later parish church. Most of the building dates to early years of 15th century when an almost complete rebuilding took place leading to a re-dedication in 1412. The brick tower was built in 1669. The chancel has 18th-century 'Y' traceried windows and roof. The painted rood screen dates to 1436 and restored in 1906. The large 14th century wooden chest in the chancel is Flemish. Late Saxon pottery has been found in the churchyard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8870 1765|
|Parish:||LITCHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
May1960. Listed, Grade I.
Parish church with a consecration date of 1412. The west tower is of 1669 by Matthew Halcott, according to datestone. Partly rendered flint with stone and clunch dressings. Brick tower and slate and lead roofs. West tower, aisled nave of 4 bays and chancel. West tower of 3 storeys with buttresses to west and to eastern ends of north and south faces. Stone quoins and platbands. 3-light Y-traceried west window and 2-light Y-traceried bell- openings. Crenellated parapet with obelisk pinnacles at angles. Perpendicular aisle windows of 3 lights with crossed heads to laternal lights in the distinctive manner of the church of St. Nicholas, King's Lynn. 3-light Y-traceried window on west wall of nave, now obscured by tower. Y-traceried fenestration in chancel - probably post-Medieval. No clear- story. Nave arcades with narrow lozenge shaped piers with single facetted shafts supporting inner orders of arches with outer orders dying into piers. One octagonal pier possibly a survival from earlier church. Wave moulded and hollow chamfered arches with hood-moulds on bearded head label stops. 15th century screen with 22 original painted dado panels and restored tracery. 15th century hexagonal pulpit supported on single shaft. Blind traceried panels with carved spandrels and an 18th century stair with turned balusters and fluted newels. Aisle roofs with some original arch braced principal rafters. Very fine 14th century chest with blind tracery. 17th century communion railings. Pair of Medieval misericord seats. Box pews. Fragments of Medieval glass in easternmost north aisle window. Poor box beside entrance probably 17th century. Late medieval octagonal font.
Information from (S1).
H. White, (NLA), 6 October 2009
About 1300. Rebuilt 1412. Tower 1669. Windows about 1800.
See notes (S2) and press cuttings (S3) in file.
21 April 1997. At TF 8882 1769. On bare soil near northeast corner of (extended) churchyard.
Rim sherd of Thetford type jar.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 21 April 1997.
18 April 1997. Shallow dry area trenches dug between the buttresses on the north and south sides of the nave and along the east side of the south side aisle, revealed only a possible grave surround in the angle between the south aisle and the chancel walls.
See sketch (S4) in file.
D. Gurney (NLA), 18 April 1997.
Sections of south aisle, the chancel arch and some of the windows were added as part of the 1412 rebuilding. The tower is brick. The painted rood screen was made in 1436 and restored in 1906.
Information from (S2).
The large 14th century wooden chest in the chancel is Flemish.
Information from (S5).
D. Robertson (NLA), 28 April 2006.
The clock mechanism, dating from 1725, and the clock face have been fully restored.
H. White, (NLA), 25 March 2010
Report prior to repairs, October 2012
Conservation based Research and Analysis Report. See (S9)
S. Heywood (HES), 6 November 2012
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF8817 N. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF8817/P - R. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1903. Hundred of Launditch. The Churches of Norfolk. pp 134-143. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 517-518. |
|---||Leaflet: All Saints Church, Litcham.. |
|---||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1952. The Lavile and Curson Families of Letheringsett. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 338-352. p 339. |
|---||Publication: Eric Puddy. 1957. Litcham The Short History of A Mid-Norfolk Village. pp 29-57. |
|---||Illustration: Blackman, R.. 2012. Litcham Parish Church: Norfolk. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: AU1-2, AT36-7, Ladbrooke AR33-34. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1169244. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1978. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Church gets back its stolen chalice. 21 November. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Gurney, D.. 1997. 4091 Litcham Sketch. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Document: All Saints Church, Litcham.. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009-2010. [Articles on the restoration of All Saints' Church's clock]. |
|<S8>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011-2012. [Articles on the medieval inscriptions at All Saints' Church, Litcham]. |
|<S9>||Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2012. COBRAR, All Saints' Church, Litcham, 2012. |
Related records - none
Find out more...