|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Probable medieval settlement and multi-period finds|
Fieldwalking from 2001 to 2003 noted a concentration of medieval pottery fragments, indicating a settlement site. Also found were Roman pottery fragments and a medieval buckle. In 2009 metal-detecting recovered a Romano-British copper vessel handle, medieval and post-medieval coins and a post-medieval coin weight. Metal-detecting in 2010 recovered three medieval coins. Metal-detecting in 2011 recovered a fragment of a Late Bronze Age sword and a medieval coin.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 08 25|
|Parish:||REEPHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Before 9 July 2001. Fieldwalking centred at TG 0882 2508.
Concentration of medieval pottery sherds indicative of settlement site.
See list and letter in file.
Finds to NCM.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 20 December 2001.
2001-2003. Further fieldwalking, area extended to whole field.
Small concentration of Roman and medieval sherds at north end. Many more sherds from site at south end.
Medieval buckle on eastern edge.
See list and copy of aerial photograph in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 7 December 2003.
September-October 2009. Metal-detecting.
Romano-British patera handle fragment; medieval metal objects; 2 medieval and 1 post-medieval coins; medieval/post-medieval coin weight.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 26 November 2009.
October-November 2010. Metal-detecting.
3 medieval coins.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (HES), 30 November 2010.
February-March 2011. Metal-detecting.
Fragment of Late Bronze Age sword blade (S1).
See description in file.
A. Rogerson (HES), 13 April 2011.
August-September 2011. Metal-detecting.
One medieval coin.
See lists in file.
A. Marsden (HES), 12 October 2011.
- FINDSPOT (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Unknown date)
- SWORD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN WEIGHT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- HARNESS PENDANT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP END (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1248 AD to 1251 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1279 AD to 1279 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1306 AD to 1307 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1307 AD to 1309 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Gibbons, J.. 2011. Drawing of a Late Bronze Age sword fragment.. Film. 1:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...