Record Details

NHER Number:4074
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, East Lexham


The rough and irregular flint tower is Romanesque. It probably belongs to the late 11th century along with extraordinary bell openings. The rendered nave is probably contemporary but was altered around 1200 and in the 15th and 17th to 18th century. Two misericords inside the church probably come from Castle Acre Priory (NHER 4096). There is also a beautiful 20th century war memorial. The churchyard is ditched.


  • The interior of St Andrew's Church showing the west end of the nave.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • A detail from the war memorial inside St Andrew's Church, East Lexham  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The Late Saxon round tower of St Andrew's Church, East Lexham  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The east end of St Andrew's Church, East Lexham  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TF 8600 1717
Map Sheet:TF81NE

Full description

Listed grade I for 'unique' belfry baluster shafts of around 1050 reset 1100.
Nave Late Saxon or Saxo-Norman with additions of around 1200, 15th century, 17th to 18th century.
Ditched churchyard.

Late Saxon and medieval sherds from yard (context 2).
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 October 1984.

October 2005.
An information panel inside the church states that in the course of repairs in 1963, the roof of a tunnel between the church and a vault to the north was pierced. The coffins of Frederick and Louisa Keppel and two of their children were revealed, and the tunnel was resealed. At the same time the churchyard wall was rebuilt and human remains were discovered, including those of a 'young man who had been shot through the base of the skull'.
D. Robertson (NLA), 27 October 2005.

Early spring 2015. Inspection
Report prior to repairs. Irregular shape of round tower owing to the ivy which completely envelopped the tower The three bell openings consist of two cut out of single blocks of stone in the form a patée formée cross to the east and a baluster shaft to the north west. The third has a rough containing arch with a large central shaft. Each window is unique. Possibly re-cut from imported grave slabs from Lincolnshire. Long-and-short quoins. Much of walls rendered. Upper doorway to tower at two levels. Lower level opening corresponded to lowered nave roof as seen on Ladbrooke lithograph. For much more info. see (S2).
S. Heywood (HES), 20 August 2015.

June 2016. Repairs in progress.
The round windows identified amounting to 12. Only the facings are blocking the windows leaving them as hollow spaces. Different mortars of very high quality identified along with lift lines etc. Octagonal parapet in process of being demolished to be replaced with a circular one in line with tower.
S.Heywood (HES), 21 June 2016

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Old photos AT32-3, Ladbrooke AP31-2.
---Aerial Photograph: TF8517 F,G,H,J,K,L.
---Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1809. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol X. 375.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF8616/N - P; TF8516/X.
---Monograph: Brown, G. B. 1903. Anglo-Saxon Architecture. The Arts in Early England. Vol II. p 185.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1903. Hundred of Launditch. The Churches of Norfolk. pp 122-128.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 321.
---Leaflet: Richard Butler-Stoney. 1992. East Lexham. The Lanceni Press Ltd.
---Leaflet: Richard Butler-Stoney. 1992. St. Nicholas Church, Shereford..
---Publication: Taylor, H. M. and Taylor, J. 1965. Anglo-Saxon Architecture.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Lexham.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1978. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2015. St Andrew, East Lexham.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service