Record Details

NHER Number:4014
Type of record:Building
Name:Garden temple, Narford Park

Summary

An early 18th century garden temple that is shown on Campbell's plan of the park in 1725. The temple was moved from its original position in the 19th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 7660 1398
Map Sheet:TF71SE
Parish:NARFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Temple (garden feature).
E. Rose (NAU).

According to (S1) the temple dates from 1722 and was relocated in its present position in 1860 when the ornamental canal was made into a lake. S. Heywood (NCC) states however that this is not that building, which is on a different site, at TF 7601 1467. But the latter is listed as a 19th century building.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 June 1988.

However Mr Heywood (NCC) must be incorrect as the temple at his grid reference is given as a two-pillared Tuscan example whereas the 1722 Temple was tetrastyle Ionic. It was modelled on the Fortuna Virilus at Rome, built by Fountaine on Burlington's advice and was only the third accurate Classical temple in Britain.
Vanbrugh illustrates this and the rusticated deerhouse. See (S2).
However (S1) states the Temple was moved 'west' when the lake was made; but this site is east of the lake.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 December 1995.

Monument Types

  • GARDEN TEMPLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • IONIC TEMPLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Publication: Campbell, C.. 1725. Virtruvius Britannicus.
<S1>Article in Serial: Parissien, S., Harris, J. & Colvin, H.. 1987. Narford Hall, Norfolk.. Georgian Group Journal. p 49.
<S2>Monograph: Worsley, G.. 1995. Classical Architecture in Britain: The Heroic Age.. p 188.

Related records

30473Part of: Narford Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service