Record Details

NHER Number:35393
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Cold War Royal Observer Corps post


A Royal Observer Corps post that opened in 1959 and closed in 1991. A survey undertaken in 2015 could find no trace of associated structures at its recorded location.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2012 1118
Map Sheet:TG21SW

Full description

Royal Observer Corps post.
Opened December 1959, closed September 1991. Demolished 1992 but underground room may remain sealed. Telegraph poles nearby.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) July 2000.

May 2015. Walkover Survey.
Detailed walkover survey of Royal Norwich Golf Club undertaken ahead of its proposed redevelopment.
No trace of the ROC post was observed at its recorded location, which has been heavily affected by a golf course green, a bunker and a series of terraced platforms for a tee. A shelter marked a short distance to the east on the modern Ordnance Survey mapping is presumed to have been a small building relating to the golf course.
See report (S2) for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 28 January 2021.

Monument Types

  • ROYAL OBSERVER CORPS SITE (Mid 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1959 AD to 1991 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Article in Serial: Catford, N.. 1999. Royal Observer Corps Underground Posts in Norfolk.. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol 6, no 4, pp 59-70. pp 59ff.
<S2>Unpublished Contractor Report: Craven, J. A. 2015. Royal Norwich Golf Club, Drayton High Road, Hellesdon, Norwich, Norfolk. Archaeological Site Survey and Historic Building Record. Suffolk Archaeology. 2015/025.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service