Record Details

NHER Number:34726
Type of record:Building
Name:White Lion Inn, No 20 Station Street


The White Lion Inn began life in the the late 17th century as a private house. It was refronted in 1860, and converted to a public house in the late 20th century. This two storey building is of flint and brick, with a red brick façade and a roof of glazed pantiles. The north gable wall shows the remains of a lower roof line and a reset datestone of 1682.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8197 0916
Map Sheet:TF80NW

Full description

Late 17th century, refronted 1860, converted to public house late 20th century. Flint and brick, red brick facade. Brick glazed pantiles. Two storeys and attic, three bays plus lower bay added to left. Central door. To left, shop windows with hood over central door on consoles. Upper floors with four pane sashes, the attic windows cutting cornice as dormers. Gable stacks. North gable wall with remains of lower roof line and reset datestone 1682.
Information from (S1).
Exterior seen by E. Rose (NLA) 1999 (early) at which time building was derelict.
The date plaque mentioned is above the apex of the fossil gable.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 3 November 1999.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1660 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • PUBLIC HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1660 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service