Record Details

NHER Number:34570
Type of record:Monument
Name:Mundesley Holiday Camp


Opened in 1933, this was the first purpose-built fully catered holiday camp in Norfolk, and only the second in Britain. Its plan was intended to mirror the sails of Paston Mill. During World War Two it was used as a miltary training camp.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3203 3592
Map Sheet:TG33NW

Full description

Opened 1933, first purpose built full catering holiday camp in Norfolk and second in Britain, built by V. Edwards, builder of the first such camp on the Isle of Wight. Plan intended to mirror the shape of the sails of Paston windmill; arranged to look inland and not to sea. Central building had artesian well and pump, and diesel generator. 172 chalets housing 1 to 4 people. Cold running water but individual hot water. Ballroom, tennis courts, putting green, croquet, bowls, football piches. Swimming pool not added until 1967.
Some of original plan and building since removed.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 30 June 1999.

December 2004. Norfolk NMP.
The holiday camp described above is visible on aerial photographs taken from 1940 onwards, including a number of low-level oblique photographs of the site (S2-4). During World War Two it was used as a military camp while the surrounding area was used for training and for a searchlight and gun battery (NHER 39109).
S. Tremlett (NMP), 22 December 2004.

Monument Types

  • HOLIDAY CENTRE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
  • MILITARY CAMP (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Publication: Norfolk from the Air. p 108.
<S2>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1986. NHER TG 3235A-C (NLA 167/AZR6-8) 02-MAR-1986.
<S3>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1989. NHER TG 3235F (NLA 236/DWL15) 11-JUL-1989.
<S4>Oblique Aerial Photograph: Swain. NHER TG 3235G-H (SWAIN 16A/19-20) n.d..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service