Record Details

NHER Number:34380
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Late Saxon brooch and medieval buckle, Cloverfield Estate


In 1990 a silver Late Saxon trefoil brooch was found during the construction of the Cloverfield site. In 1993 a fine medieval buckle was also found on the Cloverfield Estate. The exact provenance of both finds is unclear as they may come from here or from NHER 33933.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 881 831
Map Sheet:TL88SE

Full description

1990. Found during construction of Cloverfield site.
Silver trefoil brooch, see H.M. Geake's (NCM) description and drawing (S1) in file. Information from Valued History.
See finder's sketch plan (S2).
Note: The finder's record states that the find was made at location [1] which is clearly incorrect. A. Rogerson (NLA) suggested it came from site NHER 33933 as he did not think the Cloverfield estate extended to the river. However, Thetford town map (in file) and Thetford Museum confirm that it does, and finder's sketch map places it in the area of the grid reference.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 9 April 1999.

March 1993. Shown to Bury St Edmunds archaeology office (not necessarily date of finding).
Very fine 13th century buckle, see photograph (S3), drawing (S1), description in file.
Find given as 'Cloverfield building site near Green Lane'.
W. Milligan (NCM) has added location [2] but this is possibly only a guess. It could come from this site or perhaps NHER 33933.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 May 1999.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BROOCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Illustration: Finds Illustrations.
<S2>Map: Finder's Map..
<S3>Photograph: NLA. Finds Photograph.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service