Record Details

NHER Number:26514
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Boars Head, 5 St Stephen's Street

Summary

A 15th century building once stood where centre of the street now is. It was timber framed and thatched and was stated to have been the town house of the Earl of Surrey during the reign of Henry VIII. It became an inn in the 18th century and then the first music hall in Norwich before being destroyed by bombing in 1942. The new inn was built further back in 1950s and was regarded as an important building at the time.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2300 0820
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of 15th century building, which stood where centre of street now is. Timber framed and thatched, the building is stated to have been the town house of the Earl of Surrey in the reign of Henry VIII. It became an inn in the 18th century and then the first music hall in Norwich. 1930s suggestions for road widening were to have left it on an island in the street, however it was destroyed by bombing on 29 April 1942. New inn built further back in 1950s, and was at the time regarded as an important building.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 2 July 1999.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Last days of historic tavern and city's first music hall. 2 July.

Related records

Mon 1099Parent of: St Stephen's Street (Monument)
Mon 1102Parent of: Surrey Street (Monument)
Mon 1034Parent of: The Old Boars Head, Surrey Street (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service