|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Andrew's Chapel and medieval cross|
This ruined medieval chapel has an associated medieval cross. Most of the 11th century nave survives, whilst little remains of the chancel and south aisle. The south wall of the nave is a late 13th century blocked arcade, while a base of a medieval cross stands in the west doorway. The chapel probably went out of use during the 16th century. In the 18th century it was used a mill house and was ruined by 1845.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7429 1620|
|Parish:||EAST WALTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Ruined chapel, probably of about 1300. West wall and west ends of north and south walls survive, much robbed. Of conglomerate and freestone; the west quoins and plinth are of massive conglomerate blocks. South wall is a blocked arcade.
Used as mill in 18th century. Cropmarks adjacent.
Medieval cross base in west doorway, has stop angles and octangonal socket.
See notes and schedule (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 1990.
Most of nave survives, practically to full height. Little remains of chancel and south aisle, apart from the arcade. Nave 11th century. Arcade late 13th century.
Still functioning in 1368.
Information from (S2), appropriate section in file.
Thought to originally date to earlty 12th century.
Church lay within manor owned by West Dereham Abbey from about 1196 to Dissolution of the monasteries.
From at least the 13th century combined as a single rectory with St Mary's Church, with joint revenue going to West Acre priory. St Andrew's was presumably had the status of a parochial chapel.
Likely went of use during 16th century - a survey of 1593 refers to 'the land that was formerly the churchyard of St Andrew's'.
Described in lease of 1803 as in use as a millhouse.
In ruins by 1845.
Information from (S3).
D. Robertson (NLA), 10 November 2005.
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILL HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Scheduled Monument
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Publication: 1983. [unknown]. Corbishley, M,. 2. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 71 NW 10. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 326. |
|---||Recording Form: Heywood, S. 1994. Norfolk County Council Site Visit Record - St Andrew's Chapel and medieval cross, East Walton. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Walton (East). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Scheduling Notification. Notification. DNF255. |
|<S1>||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF255. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 84; p 52. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. 1994? -2011?. English Heritage Digital Designation Record. Record. DNF255. |
|MNO5090||Related to: Ruins of Chapel of St Andrew 80m N of St Mary's Church EAST WALTON (Revoked)|