Record Details

NHER Number:3729
Type of record:Building
Name:St Martin's Church, South Raynham


This flint and brick church dates mostly to the 13th to 15th centuries. It comprises a west tower, nave, chancel and south porch. It has undergone later restoration and rebuilding, particularly in 1861 when the south porch was entirely redone. Inside there is a late Norman altar stone and a massive 14th century plain octagonal font. There are numerous fine gravestones in the churchyard and medieval pottery sherds have been recovered from here.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8808 2432
Map Sheet:TF82SE

Full description

13th-15th centuries, altered in 1861. Late Norman altar stone.
See report in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 June 1981.

1993. Medieval sherds from yard.
See file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 8 May 1996.

24 November 2006. Casual find whilst grave digging.
Medieval pot and limestone roof tile
See list in file
A. Rogerson, (NLA), 30 June 2009

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF8824B, D, E, F.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of Gallow. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VI. pp 91-96.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 82 SE 7.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 665-666.
---Leaflet: St Martin's Church, South Raynham..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service