Record Details

NHER Number:3672
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval brickworks and brick kilns


The remains of a brick kiln, clay pits, wash pit and pug mill have been recorded at this location. This indicates that a brickworks was located here during the post medieval period. It is known that Lord North imported a brickmaker from Fulham, so perhaps he worked at this site. Unfortunately the area is obscured by tree cover on aerial photographs and most of the structures are poorly preserved.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8261 2076
Map Sheet:TF82SW

Full description

1970. Site of brick kiln.
'Ponds' are water filled diggings for clay, with depressions in the ground to the east from the remains of settling pans.
Remains of kiln, formerly arched over, now collapsed at TF 8270 2081 (But arched stoking chamber survives
E. Rose (NAU).

Photos of settling pan in Bridewell.
Visited 19 January 1971 by B. Yates.

Kiln produced bricks approximately 46cm (18in) long.
E. B. Green (NCM).

Wash pit and pug mill recorded by Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society survey.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).

22 July 1993. NLA aerial photography.
Site is obscured by dense tree cover. Small area of water-filled pit visible.
M. Brennand (NLA) 8 February 2001.

Lord North imported a brickmaker from Fulham.
E. Rose (NLA) 3 August 2004.

Rougham hall was extended using bricks around 1878. It is believed that the bricks were made in this kiln. It is also thought that the kiln stopped work in the early 1900s after the house was extended again in 1906. It is likely that the kiln was built specifically for providing bricks for the house, and it is likely that is was only used for this purpose.
NIAS records (S2)
W. Arnold HES 10/011/11

Monument Types

  • BRICK KILN (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1878 AD? to 1906 AD?)
  • BRICKWORKS (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1878 AD? to 1906 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Higher Level Stewardship

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TF 8220ABA - ABF.
---*Verbal Communication: Cox, A.. 2004. [unknown].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Fiche: Exists.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Rougham.
<S1>Article in Serial: 1979. [unknown]. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol II No 4.
<S2>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service