|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Roman pit and multi-period finds, from Fincham Farm lands|
Fieldwalking and metal detecting at this site during 1969-1981 recovered a large number of multi period objects from a pit here. These finds included pottery from the Iron Age to post medieval period along with prehistoric flint tools, Roman coins and a medieval buckle. The pit is believed to be Roman in date on the basis of this artefactual evidence.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 82 21|
|Parish:||ROUGHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1969-1981. Fincham Farm Roman site.
's finds of Roman pottery surrounding post medieval brick kiln (3670 - q.v. for pin found) are held by NCM. No material was found in North Sea Gas no 4 feeder main trench dug here in 1969 according to  (information from NCM card). See extract from 's catalogue in file for his other Roman finds claimed (not seen) including metalwork.
Also in file reports on NARG fieldwalking 1980-81 including large amounts of Roman material, Iron Age, Late Saxon and Middle Saxon pottery, medieval and post medieval sherds etc.
 also records flint finds from Brick Langley (field in site centred on grid reference 8260 2140) as:
Scraper; 81a, found 5 January 1973, 82-4a, found 20 October 1964, 38H found 4 November 1969, 51-2H. Knife, found 4 November 1969; 53E found 15 November 1969,64E Misc Tools found 18 November 1969, 79J, found 10 July 1970, 24(0), found 4 November 1969, 59J. Poor scrapers, found 25 December 1969, 85(I). Pounders, found 25 December 1969, 13F.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 February 1981.
1990. Found with metal detector.
Roman coins and metalwork
E. Rose (NAU) 31 October 1990.
- PIT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- PIN (Undated)
- TILE (Undated)
- WHETSTONE (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BRACELET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FURNITURE FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HARNESS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HELMET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- KNIFE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SHEARS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SPINDLE WHORL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Rougham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|---||Photograph: FTJ 10-11, FTE 8-9. |
Related records - none
Find out more...