Record Details

NHER Number:3646
Type of record:Building
Name:St Peter's Church, West Rudham


A medieval parish church, dating from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries, with 19th century restoration. A window dating to the Late Saxon or Norman period suggests that the church is on the site of an earlier building. The church is no longer in use.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8195 2764
Map Sheet:TF82NW

Full description

June 1953. Listed, Grade I.
Listing Description:
Parish Church, now redundant. 13th century, 14th century, 15th century. Flint with stone dressings, slate roofs. West tower, 4 bay nave and south aisle, 2 bay chancel. Decorated west tower has 2-light switch tracery 'Y' window, 4 Decorated belfry windows, 2-lights with trefoil lights and quatrefoil, outer label continued as string course at springing of arch. 2 west face angle buttresses, one north and south buttresses with 3 set offs. Flat roof without parapet. South aisle has rich and varied series of 13th century tracery windows : to west one off-centre lancet, to south one 'Y' tracery window, one Plate tracery 2-light window with upper roundel, one paired lancet : deeply moulded arches and reveal. One 3-light Perpendicular east window. 13th century south door has 2 north and south colonnettes, bases and capitals, richly moulded arch. Late 18th century battened door with switch tracery head. 15th century clerestorey has 4 2-light straight headed windows. Nave north side has 3 Perpendicular 4-centred arch traceried windows. Chancel has one north and one south 3-light Perpendicular straight headed window, one south 3-light arched head Perpendicular window. Blocked south priest's door. 2 clasping east gable buttresses, 3-light 19th century tracery Perpendicular east window. Interior: Tower arch has 3 continuous chamfers. 13th century and 14th century century, with late 18th century Gothick screen and door. South arcade of 4½ bays. West half bay springing from stiff leaf west respond shares details of deeply moulded double hollow chamfered Early English arches with 4 bays to east, supported on octagonal piers with bases and capitals, stylistically of 14th century and 15th century, perhaps recasings of original piers. 2 south aisle windows at centre and east have deep embrasures and angle colonnettes with bases and capitals. 15th century arched braced nave roof with moulded braces and principals, bosses at intersections and to ridge beam, no collars. Perpendicular tower arch with south side rood stairs arch and rood loft arch. 19th century chancel roof. 14th century piscina with ogee arch framing trefoil. 17th century poppyhead benches on south aisle. Fine 15th century in situ glass in tracery lights of nave. Norwich School, including fine Pieta, Royal Arms of George IV in Gothick architrave frame, same details to Commandment Boards and Lord's Prayer board now in tower-vestry. See H.J. Dukinfield-Astley The Norfolk Villages (Norwich 1900) pp. 23 - 36.
Information from (S1).

Possible Late Saxon or Norman window.
Otherwise Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular.
Good furnishings.
Site of chapel in yard.
See (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose (NLA) August 1990.

Before 10 June 2009. Casual finds whilst grave digging.
Roman, Late Saxon and Late Saxon/ medieval pottery.
See list in file
A. Rogerson, (NLA), 30 June 2009

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • POT (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 24; p 50.
---Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Volume Unknown.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of Gallow. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VI. pp 113-118.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 82 NW 17.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 769.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Dereham and Fakenham Times. 1984. The church which refused to die. 4 May.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1153338.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1978. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service