Record Details

NHER Number:33886
Type of record:Monument
Name:Earthworks of medieval tofts and enclosures, 800m east of church

Summary

Aerial photographs and site visits have identified an area of significant medieval tofts and closes, with considerable later amendment. This includes drainage ditches, house platforms and rectilinear enclosures. It has been reported that a flint floor has been noted here by a farmer.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0187 2791
Map Sheet:TG02NW
Parish:WOOD NORTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Earthworks 800m east of church.

January 1946. RAF aerial photograph.
Shows series of sub-rectangular and rectilinear enclosures, mostly ditched, with some later drainage ditches.

March 1983. NAU aerial photographs.
Show area under longer grass but layout still easily visible.

October 1998. Visit.
Confirmed existence of a series of toft-like enclosures, with one ditched building platform in east where two medieval unglazed sherds found. Western half of field not walked, due to uncertain ownership, but significant platforms and depressions seen from road indicate a layout in part seen on Enclosure Award Map of 1811, when two groups of buildings are shown. Area has three owners, the central area currently in process of being sold. The present owner here found a flint 'floor' and cobbles when taking topsoil for use elsewhere. Some 'pottery' retrieved and will hopefully be given to NLA if found during move.
Earthwork survey to be undertaken when all owners are identified.
B. Cushion (NLA), 13 October 1998.

October 1999. Earthwork Survey.
Survey at 1:1000. Indicating an area of medieval tofts and closes with considerable later amendment.
See report (S1) for plan and further details. This site was included in (S2) and the survey is also noted in (S3).
B. Cushion (NLA), 27 October 1999. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 15 April 2015.

October 2004. Visit.
Site divided into three ownerships.
To west subdivided by post and wire fencing into paddocks for horse grazing. To southeast rolled and mown as a recreation area. To northeast rough pasture.
H. Paterson (A&E), 16 December 2004.

Monument Types

  • FLOOR (Unknown date)
  • DRAINAGE DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TOFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DRAINAGE DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE PLATFORM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 02/TG 0127/A; TG 0127/E/F-K.
<S1>Unpublished Report: Cushion, B. 1999. Wood Norton SMR 33886. Earthwork Survey Report.
<S2>Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 104. p 87.
<S3>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2000. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1999. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt III pp 521-543. p 541.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service