Record Details

NHER Number:33881
Type of record:Building
Name:Clarkes Farmhouse


An early 16th century timber framed house that was refaced in brick in the 18th century. The house has a lobby entrance plan, a blocked mullioned window and originally had a queenpost roof, and one queenpost still survives.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4527 1853
Map Sheet:TG41NE

Full description

Early 16th century timber frame, refronted in brick 18th century. Thatched roof. Lobby entrance plan. One storey and eyebrow dormers. Triple diamond stack in line with door, the flues rebuilt. Internal east gable stack. Timber frame is close studded and heavy. One multiple roll moulded bridging beam, early 16th century. Winding stair by stack. One blocked mullioned window, rear wall under eaves. Only one queenpost survives of original roof.
Information from (S1), grade II.
If this really is an early 16th century lobby entrance it is very important. Could this be a hall house with inserted stack?
Building would repay detailed examination.
E. Rose (NLA) 7 October 1998.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 608-609.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service