Record Details

NHER Number:33721
Type of record:Monument
Name:Church Walk/Walsingham Way


This tree lined walk is also known as Walsingham Way. The western end of the walk appears on a map of 1792. The footway was allotted to the inhabitants of Watton, as a way to their church, by the enclosure commissioners in 1801. The avenue was bisected by the railway in the 1860s and a period of decline followed. The walk was replanted with lime trees in 1903 resulting from proposals made in commemoration of the coronation of King Edward VII. Ornamental iron gates dating from the 1830s were given by Lord Walsingham and relocated from his Merton estate. The iron gate piers, embossed with '1902' and 'Walsingham', survive, however the gates have been removed.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9199 0094
Map Sheet:TF90SW

Full description

Also known as Walsingham Way from Lord Walsingham.
In existence as avenue before 1792. Established as way to church by Enclosure Commissioners in 1801. Bisected by railway in 1868. Replanted 1901-2 as coronation walk, with ornamental gates at each end given by Lord Walsingham from Merton estate, avenue of lime trees backed by hedges. Railway closed 1963; in 1965 walk used for access to new council home which resulted in severe damage. Despite refusal to remove the gates for scrap during World War Two they were removed in 1966; two leaves remain in store, but flanking railings are in situ embossed WALSINGHAM 1902.
New limes planted across line of railway which is an inaccurate restoration as the railway preceded the limes.
(S1) three-star (national importance) as example of 18th century public walk.
See (S1) for details.
E. Rose (NLA) 21 July 1998.

Copy of (S2) in file for NHER 8956 notes that despite the date of 1902 the gates were of the 1830s and made by the architect Blore for Merton Hall.
E. Rose (NLA) 31 January 2005.

Monument Types

  • AVENUE (LANDSCAPE FEATURE) (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
  • RAILINGS (19th Century to 21st Century - 1830 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume Two.
<S2>Article in Serial: Garnier, R.. 2004. Merton Hall.. Georgian Group Journal. Vol XIV, pp 131-166. vol XIV, p 151..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service