|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Manor Farmhouse, Bungay Road|
Manor Farm is an L-shaped building, partially timber-framed and partially brick. It is thought that the current crosswing began life around 1500 as a hall, and that the main block may have been a parlour wing to the hall, built around 1600. The house was extended in brick in the 18th century, and altered in the 19th century from which the servants rooms and stairs remain. A timber-framed barn was also noted, built around 1700 and later extended in brick.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 3850 9352|
|Parish:||STOCKTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
L-shaped building part timber frame, part brick. Crosswing seems to be the oldest section, but not as yet strictly dateable between around 1500 and around 1600. Main block a timber framed rebuild, with brick stack, preserving what seems to be part of an older timber framed stack. House extended in brick in 18th century, and altered in 19th from
which servants rooms and stairs remain. Possible harpsicord key found in stack.
See report (S1) in secondary file.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 8 August 1996
1997. Further work suggests that crosswing may have been the hall and what is now the main block began as a parlour wing, dating to around 1600. Harpsicord key reidentified as 18th century parasol handle.
Timber framed barn of around 1700 noted, extended in brick in 19th century.
See further report (S1) in file.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 8 September 1997.
- HALL HOUSE? (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD? to 2100 AD)
- HOUSE (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD? to 2100 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD? to 2100 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD? to 2100 AD)
- SERPENTINE WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BARN (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD? to 2100 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MUSICAL INSTRUMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: HLK 30-35; HQS 19-22. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 1996. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...