|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Bodney Warren Lodge|
A medieval to post medieval rabbit warren, owned by Thetford Priory, with the remains of a warren lodge. The straight parish boundary between Bodney and Threxton is marked as the 'old bank' on the tithe map, and this may have been the boundary of the warren.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 853 972|
|Parish:||HILBOROUGH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of Bodney Warren Lodge shown on (S1).
Situated on the edge of the rabbit warren.
'Bodney Lodge' shown roofless on (S2).
The eastern boundary of the warren may have been the straight parish boundary between Bodney and Threxton (now Hilborough/Little Cressingham) to the northeast, called Old Bank on the same map; similarly at the north end of this where a track runs east to west on current mapping, a similar bank is mentioned.
K. Sussams (SAU), 6 December 1995.
(S3) notes that Bodney warren was owned by Thetford Priory.
See (S3-4) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA), 27 February 2006
- LODGE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- RABBIT WARREN (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- WARRENERS LODGE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: 1842. Bodney Tithe Map. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1981. 1:10,000. |
|<S3>||Publication: Sussams, K.. 1996. The Breckland Archaeological Survey. |
|<S4>||Website: The Breckland Society. 2008. The Breckland Society Warrens Project.. http://www.brecsoc.org.uk/projects/warrens-project/. |
|54062||Part of: Medieval rabbit warren and lodge, Bodney (Monument)|
Find out more...