|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Hackford Hall and Hackford Deserted Medieval Village|
A mainly early 19th century brick residence with an early 17th century core. U-shaped in plan, it is two and a half storeys high with an east façade of five window bays fronted by an impressive central Tuscan portico of six paired columns and two outer piers. The south range is the oldest part, with a 17th century winding staircase against the chimney stack and a 17th century door frame to the cellar. Also inside is a fine early 19th century cantilevered geometric staircase with wrought iron balustrades. The house and its surrounding grounds are said to occupy the site of the medieval village of Hackford.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0778 2222|
|Parish:||REEPHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Ordnance Survey card (S6) states hall and grounds occupy site of Deserted Medieval Village mentioned in Domesday Book (S1) and Nomina Villarum (S2); taxed 47/3d in 1334 but 21% of that in 1449. Note however that Hackford church was in Reepham churchyard.
E.Rose (NAU) 1979.
January 1952. Listed, Grade II.
Farmhouse, mainly early 19th century but with early 17th century core.
Red brick and pantiles. Two and a half storeys, U-shaped plan. South wing is double pile. East façade of five bays with central Tuscan portico of six paired columns and two outer piers. South range is original house.
Lobby entrance, with English bond in south and east walls. South windows, with blank windows in line with stack. Projecting west gable of south range is shaped but 19th century. 17th century door frame to cellar; 17th century winding stair against south wing axial stack; fine early 19th century cantilevered geometric stair with wrought iron
Information from (S3).
E. Rose (NAU), 18 January 1985.
Press cutting (S4) and architectural plans of 1994 (S5) in file.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG0722C-H, K,. |
|---||Article in Serial: Allison, K. J. 1955. The Lost Villages of Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXI pp 116-162. p 141. |
|---||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1808. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol VIII. 548. p 244. |
|---||Publication: Darby, H.C.. 1952. The Domesday Geography of Eastern England. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 647. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Nomina Villarum. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1076851. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. [Sale advertisement for The Hackford Hall Estate]. 30 April. |
|<S5>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S6>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 02 SE 2 . |
Related records - none
Find out more...