Record Details

NHER Number:3147
Type of record:Monument
Name:Roman road and medieval earthworks


An area of medieval earthworks, including banks, ditches and house platforms was surveyed in 1984. Excavations in 1954, 1970 and 1973 had previously uncovered the remains of flint walls and medieval bricks and pottery, possibly from a maltings or granary. A Roman road also crosses this area (see NHER 2796), and this was excavated in 1970.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0902 2156
Map Sheet:TG02SE

Full description

Remains of buildings excavated. ?Maltings or granary.
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

Buildings shown here on (S1), 1797.
E. Rose (NAU).

Excavations by NRC and Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society east of the deserted medieval village area revealed flint walls on timber piles and brushwood with early medieval sherds (NCM).
See (S2). (NCM card R.R. Clarke.).

June 1970.
Excavation of Roman road produced also flint foundations and medieval bricks.
See file under NHER 2796.
NB Whitwell had three mills in Domesday.
(1973 excavations were directed by Helen Sutermeister; records and finds seem to have disappeared).
A. Gregory (NAU), November 1984.

3-4 November 1984.
Earthwork survey by Cambridge Extra-Mural Certificate class under C. Barringer and A. Gregory.
Clear earthworks confined to first strip west of present road area 130m by 60m. East to west feature possible Roman road (see NHER 2796) with northeast to southwest ditch and bank meeting at east field boundary, two large depressions, each partially surrounded by banks, one good and one possible house platform. Area of earthworks defined by east to west ditch on south, south of which is a blank area to new wood not on Ordnance Survey. See plan.
A. Gregory (NAU), 5 November 1984.

January 2002.
Site under rough grassland with many clumps of tough reedy grass obscuring any earthworks in many places. Site is grazed by cattle in summer months and used as part of the wildlife/educational centre.
H. Paterson (A&E), 16 January 2001.

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
  • BUILDING (Unknown date)
  • DITCH (Unknown date)
  • GRANARY (Unknown date)
  • MALTINGS (Unknown date)
  • ROAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ROAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 02 SE 18.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Miscellaneous. Reepham (Whitwell).
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Article in Serial: Barringer, J. C. 1973. Norfolk Research Committee: Moat Recording Group. Report for Summer 1973. Norfolk Research Committee Newsletter and Bulletin. Series 2 No 12 pp 11-12.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service