Record Details

NHER Number:3129
Type of record:Building
Name:Wood Dalling Hall, Hall Road


A very interesting late 16th century red brick country house, two storeys high with attics under a pantiled roof. The south front has three gables and a lower offset gabled porch. Polygonal buttresses project from all the angles, rising to fine decorated circular finials and a group of excellent decorated chimney shafts. The house was built in 1582 for William Bulwer. His son William sold it to Sir John Hobart in 1632 and for a long time it remained part of the Blickling Estate. In the 1970s it was used as a Muslim retreat before being restored and converted to a pub and restaurant in the 1980s. It is now once again a private house.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0735 2710
Map Sheet:TG02NE

Full description

1582; very interesting building with ornate turrets and access rooms to chimneys.
In bad condition, unoccupied at time of visit. Listed grade II (S1). Site of cross removed to site NHER 7362?.

Building since restored.
Ordnance Survey aerial photographs show possible garden features to west.

Jnauary 1952. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description:
Country house, now restaurant and public house. Late 16th century. Red brick, steeply- pitched plaintiled roofs. Two storeys and attics, L-shaped plan. Main facade to east: three gables with polygonal angle-shafts and corbels all with decorated terracotta finials. Ground floor and first floor windows of six lights with renewed hollow-chamfer mullions and transoms. Windows set in chamfered reveals with moulded brick dripmoulds. Attic 3-light wooden case- ments with hollow-chamfer mullions and transoms. Roll-moulded gable parapet copings, diagonally-set corbel at gable peak with octagonal finial with moulded cap. Moulded brick string courses at floor levels. 2-storey porch off-centre to north, similarly detailed; 4-centred entrance arch of moulded brick with decorated spandrels below square dripmould. Original entrance door and frame in east wall. North gable has large partly-external stack with twin decorated terracotta shafts with moulded caps and bases. Three later wooden casements in south gable. Large external stack to south-west, the upper section with four octagonal shafts rebuilt 20th century, flanked by polygonal stair turret with embattled parapet. 3-light lower casement with leaded glazing. External stack on south wall of rear range with corbelled and crow- stepped parapet, four shafts rebuilt on original moulded bases. Angle link- block with stepped gable with pinnacle base. Attic dormer with crow-stepped gable moulded brick corbels with stuccoed octagonal finials. West gable much rebuilt 20th century including large external stack with four linked shafts. Pantiled lean-to's in angle, one with castellated parapet. North wall has 3, 4 and 5-light wooden mullioned windows, attic dormer with crow-stepped gable, openings much altered. Attached coped red brick garden wall at south-east corner.
Information from (S1).

For full details see report (S2), architects plans (S3), photographs (S4), press cuttings (S5) to (S9) and sales brochure (S10) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 January 1995.

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1972. OS 72 390 387.
---Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 331; Pl 13.
---Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. p 321, footnote 1.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 733-734.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Wood Dalling.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1305293.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1981. Building Report. Building Report.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S4>Photograph: BZC 3-6, CBH 21 (old) Large photo in cupboard.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Wood Dalling Hall opens as holiday centre. 15 December.
<S6>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Gale damage setback after good news. 18 January.
<S7>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Former Moslem centre for sale. 20 May.
<S8>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. [Sale advertisement for Wood Dalling Hall]. 15 May.
<S9>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Hanging baskets spark legal battle with mansion owner. 25 July.
<S10>Publication: Bidwells. Sales Brochure.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service