Record Details

NHER Number:3124
Type of record:Building
Name:Woodhouse Farm


A 17th century and later two storey partly colourwashed red brick house with a pantile roof and later additions and alterations. It lies within the remains of a medieval to post medieval moat, the western arm of which has been widened in recent years.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0934 2814
Map Sheet:TG02NE

Full description

January 1978. Visited.
Moated. No longer a farm.
Building is early 17th century (or perhaps late 16th), brick, five bays, irregularly spaced on two storeys (east façade) with small ?staircase windows at north end. West side has polygonal stair turret, now surrounded by later extentions. North gable stepped (but steps renewed; are they original?) with three octagonal chimneys. South gable rebuilt but some chequerwork in base.
Central group of three angled chimneys. Much brickwork renewed in 19th century.

Moat on west has been widened and 'ruralised' (some pieces very recently). On south and east it is merely a narrow ditch leading to a large pond. Does not exist on north. What appears on Ordnance Survey map to be a possible western extention is inaccessible. Present owners say they have dredged moat and turned over soil on house island but found nothing. Probably never more than an ornamental moat.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 January 1978.

Ordnance Survey card suggests south arm is recent; original south arm being further south. Only east and west arms shown on tithe map. 'Western extention' a feeder pond.
E. Rose (NAU).

Notes by (S1) 1986 in file agree with date suggested; he believes possibly of about 1590 but more likely first half of 17th century. Notes the scar of a removed porch tower, and describes internal plan; suggests fourth bay used as kitchen.
(S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 July 1986.

1986. Norwich Survey.
Two storied, red brick house with red pantiled roof. Originally 17th century.
See (S1).
T.E. Miller (NLA), 12 December 2005.

Photograph (S2) and plans (S3) in file. Listed (S4).

April 2004. Visit.
Western extension 2m wide, southern arm 1.5-2m wide. Wet with some leaf litter. Interior mown lawns with fruit trees and flower beds.
H. Paterson (A&E), 21 April 2004.

Management statement (S5) signed 1st May 2004.
H. Paterson (A&E), 6 May 2004.

December 2011. Planning Application.
Erection of Two Storey Extension to East Elevation.
See (S6).
Z. Dack (HES), 6 January 2012.

Monument Types

  • MOAT (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POND (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 02 NE 3 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Wood Dalling.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. Building Survey.
<S2>Photograph: Broadland Council. 2004. 20040424.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S4>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S5>Unpublished Document: H. Paterson (A&E), MPP. Management Statement.
<S6>Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service