|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||All Saints' Church, Wood Norton|
All Saints' Church has a Perpendicular style nave and chancel, however there is a priest's doorway and angle piscina of around 1300 in the chancel. The west tower was rebuilt in the 1530s although this was not completed. Inside is a 17th century font cover with a dove on top, and some stained glass from the 1530s.
|Grid Reference:||TG 0105 2777|
|Parish:||WOOD NORTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Top of tower rebuilt 1700, bellframe in yard in 1818.
E. Rose (NAU).
March 1959. Listed, Grade II*.
Information from (S1).
Parish church, details largely Perpendicular and of high quality. Flint with stone dressings, brick upper stage of tower, tiled roofs. West tower, 3 bay aisleless nave, south porch, 2 bay chancel. Tower 15th century lower stage, knapped flint, two west angle buttresses with stone dressings, 2 light Perpendicular west window, belfry stage of good quality brick with date stone 1700. Stone dressed angle buttresses continuation of 15th century work below, stone string course, 3 brick honeycomb belfry windows with stone imposts and red and black brick header arches, brick string course and battlements. Nave with flint and conglomerate rubble in north and south walls, knapped flint east and west gables, and buttresses. Perpendicular south porch with knapped flint to south face only, stone dressed 4-centred arch, 2 angle buttresses with single set off and pinnacles with crocketed spirelets, stone parapet brought to apex with 15th century foliated cross, parapet returned with central gargoyles. Nave south 3 bay 2 2-light Perpendicular windows floriated cross on east gable. Chancel south 2 Perpendicular straight headed windows, priest's door of c.1300. East gable knapped flint with 2 angle buttresses and 19th century 3 light Decorated style east window, blocked niche above with gable cross. Chancel north with late 19th century lean-to vestry with east window re-used 2-light straight headed Perpen- dicular window. Nave north 3 2-light Perpendicular windows, buttresses, north door Decorated arch with 15th century door. Interior largely c.1881 restoration, including roofs. Perpendicular tower arch, west window with re-used 15th century stained glass fragments. Chancel arch Perpendicular and blocked north rood stairs door Perpendicular. Nave south wall piscina. Chancel with 2 partly re-used pre-15th century bench ends. Angle piscina of c.1300 with simple window seat sedilia. East window stained, by Charles Gibbs c.1875. Stalls and benches c.1881. Nave stone font, octagonal stem, bulbous font of somewhat classical inspiration suggesting 17th century date with wooden canopy with dove. Kelly's Directory Norfolk 1916 p.540.
Information from (S1).
12 November 1987. Trench dug on inside of churchyard wall at southeast corner by MSC team observed by A. Rogerson and D. Wicks (NAU).
19th century wall overlies flint and mortar wall or footings for same wall. From spoil no human bones noted but one largish sherd, basal with single thumbing of medieval glazed Grimston.
A. Rogerson (NAU), 18 November 1987.
Press cutting (S2) in file.
- CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD? to 2100 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TG0127C-D. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 734. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373800. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. £500 given for window. 21 April. |
Related records - none
Find out more...