Record Details

NHER Number:3102
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval moated site

Summary

The remains of a medieval moated manor. Later development has erased all but the north and part of the east arms of the moat. No trace of the original building remains, but the central house platform is very clear. Fragmentary parts of a later 19th century building have been found.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0480 2513
Map Sheet:TG02NW
Parish:FOULSHAM, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

17 June 1982. Visited.
Moat (Ordnance Survey) at Keeling Farm.
Marked as Kelling Hall on (S1).
Ordnance Survey 6 inch map of 1953 marks the north arm of the moat alone remaining, with waterfilled pit to southeast.
Ordnance Survey card states this is one of five ponds, ornamental, marked on tithe map, but that these could have been formed from a moat.
The north arm was dry at time of visit but appeared to be normally waterfilled; it is about 2m deep and 4m wide at top (trees made it hard to estimate). A field ditch 2m deep feeds it from northwest through a series of grilles.
Part of the east arm also survives at northeast corner, also apparently waterfilled normally; though its southern end appears to be permanently dry; and is much shallower. No trace at all of a south arm; the pit on Ordnance Survey has gone; Ordnance Survey marks farm where one would expect the west arm, but this was demolished some years ago leaving only 19th century barns further west.
The moat platform is very distinct, leaving no doubt this is a moated site; it is overgrown by nettles and a few trees, not of great age.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 June 1982.

February 2002. Visited.
Northern arm of moat remains to northeast, pond to southwest, both waterfilled. A large farm concrete pad has been laid down to southwest of moat, east of farm track. The remaining area of the interior has been planted extensively with young ash.
H. Paterson (A&E), 25 February 2002.

2002.
Old photograph of house submitted with planning application for rebuilding shows seven bays of sixteen pane sashes except for three first floor centre bays which have shorter windows, but same number of panes. Central door with broken pediment. Shaped gables with internal stacks, also off centre stack to right. Dentilled cornice, platband, rusticated quoins. Stated to have had panelled rooms and fine staircase. Demolished 1960s.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 May 2002.

May 2004.
Visited with garden designer and Woodland Consultant to discuss implications of landscaping within the moated area. Trees growing in the sides of the moat will be cut at ground level followed by stump grinding or poisoning. A few young trees will be removed by gently pulling up with a grab bucket, this in an area designated for a lawn. The remainder will be at ground level. No new planting within moat area. Some silt removal will be undertaken. This to be watched by H. Paterson (A&E).
H. Paterson (A&E), 3 June 2004.

April 2005. Work undertaken to remove saplings from interior of moated area as agreed.
Small area of masonry revealed at some 300mm depth, south of west end of northern arm; this appears to be of Victorian or slighter earlier construction.
H. Paterson (A&E), 10 May 2005.

April 2005. Site visit after H. Paterson (A&E) had identified a brick wall and floor.
Two floors made from different types of 19th century bricks were seen at TG 04788 25158 and TG 04786 25156. A wall containing a right angle was also seen at TG 04797 25163, the bricks here were in a poor state and not identified but appeared from their colour and configuration to be 19th centuryish too.
See (S2) in file.
A. Hutcheson (NLA), 26 April 2005.

June 2005. Dredging of moats/ponds undertaken by tracked vehicle with bucket.
Silts removed to clay bottom and spread to about 25cm over interior. Quantities of transfer printed ware and later 20th century white domestic china, also many Victorian and later bottles. These all came from the west end of the north moat. Old willows growing in southwest pond removed. Mature trees growing in sides of moat cut at ground level and treated to prevent regrowth. All saplings now removed from interior. Photographs to follow. Circular object ?copper/wood/iron being examined by A. Rogerson (NLA).
H. Paterson (A&E), 15 June 2005.

Monument Types

  • PIT (Unknown date)
  • GARDEN FEATURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG0425A, B,.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 02 NW 7 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---*Digital Archive: 2005. Keeling Hall.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Foulsham.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Photograph: Hutcheson, A.. 2005. [unknown].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service