|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Neolithic axehead and possible churchyard|
A Neolithic flint axehead was found in the 1960s. This is reputed to be the site of a church and churchyard that was removed at the beginning of the 20th century. However, a church or chapel is not shown at this location on 19th century maps.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4397 1770|
|Parish:||MARTHAM, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Half of a Neolithic polished flint axe, (S1).
W.Milligan (NCM) 1 August 1994.
(S2) has 'Churchyard was here' marked at this spot post 1989.
Meaning? Not parish churchyard.
E. Rose (NLA) 2 November 1994.
The comment about the church derives from a report from source  that this was the last remains of a church and churchyard, being graveslabs, were removed early this century.
Information from W. Milligan (NCM).
However, (S3) shows nothing at this spot. To the west a T-shaped building is shown to the north of the house 'Shalimar' marked on current 1:10,000 which was not there then, but no indication that it was a chapel.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 May 1999.
- CHURCHYARD (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POLISHED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished Document: Robins, P.A.. 1994. Lithic Report. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Robins, P.. 1994. Drawing of a Neolithic axehead.. Paper. 1:1. |
|<S2>||Map: NCM. NCM Record Map. |
|<S3>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7). |
Related records - none
Find out more...