Record Details

NHER Number:29289
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Multi-period finds


Roman brooches, a Roman coin, a Late Saxon strap end, a 13th century finger ring and a medieval stud found during metal detecting. An alternative location for these finds is recorded under NHER 22604.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 15 03
Map Sheet:TG10SE

Full description

1992. Found at metal detecting rally.
1 Roman denarius.See list in file.
1 dolphin type brooch, 1st century AD.
However another source say NHER 29018 was the site of the rally.
W. Milligan (NCM) 30 October 1992.

Afternoon of 2 May 1992. Metal detecting rally.
Base of Late Saxon 10th century copper alloy openwork strap end, (S1).
Medieval disc headed copper alloy stud.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 23 August 2000.

October/November 1995. Metal detecting finds.
Gilded copper alloy 13th century finger ring with (incomplete) stirrup shaped loop. Oval setting in bezel with white paste adhesive.
?Date dumbbell shaped object. Copper alloy, with casting flaws. Length 28mm, diameter 10 to 11mm, weight 7g. ?Function.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NLA) 27 November 1995.

See NHER 22604 for finds possibly from this site.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • STRAP FITTING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • FINGER RING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STUD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Map: Finder's Map..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service