|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Bronze Age metal finds|
A Bronze Age copper alloy axehead and spearhead were found on the surface of a ploughed field in 1964.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9734 2005|
|Parish:||NORTH ELMHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
October 1964. Stray Find.
Surface finds in ploughsoil:
1) Bronze Age socketed axe, decorated with three parallel lines.
2) Bronze Age socketed spearhead, leaf-shaped blade, peg holes, incised decoration on socket.
See drawings (S1), produced by W. F. Milligan (NCM) in 1970.
Information from (S2).
These objects had probably been dispersed from the Bronze Age hoard that was discovered nearby in 1970 (NHER 1123).
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 31 May 2018.
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- SOCKETED AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- SPEAR (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- HOARD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 92 SE 9. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Milligan, W. 1970. Drawings of a Late Bronze Age copper alloy socketed axehead and copper alloy socketed spearhead. Paper. 1:1. |
|<S2>||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Elmham (North). |
Related records - none
Find out more...