|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric, medieval and post-medieval finds|
Metal detecting in 1992 recovered three medieval coins. A systematic fieldwalking and metal-detecting survey undertaken in 2011/2012 recovered a small number of Mesolithic/Early Neolithic and Early Neolithic worked flints; potentially prehistoric burnt flints; a post-medieval gunflint; post-medieval pottery sherds and a single post-medieval coin.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 82 07|
|Parish:||SWAFFHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1992. Metal-detecting. 
Found in vicinity of  (Context 1):
Henry III short cross penny. London mint
Illegible long cross cut halfpenny, 13th century
Edward III penny. York mint
See list in file.
Identified by J. Davies (NCM).
Compiled by W. Milligan (NCM), 22 September 1992.
September 2011-February 2012. Systematic Fieldwalking and Metal-detecting Survey. Extended to whole field .
Field survey of large proposed development area (Field 2).
The finds recovered in this field included:
1 Mesolithic/Early Neolithic flint platform rejuvenation flake and 1 blade.
12 prehistoric flint flakes, mostly of probable Early Neolithic date.
?Prehistoric burnt flints (277g).
1 post-medieval coin, 6 pottery sherds and 1 gunflint.
See report (S1) for further details.
Previously recorded under NHER 57850.
The archive associated with this work has been deposited with Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2013.35).
P. Watkins (HES), 18 August 2020.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 10000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BURNT FLINT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC? to 42 AD?)
- BLADE (Early Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 10000 BC to 3001 BC)
- CORE (Early Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 10000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FLAKE (Early Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 3001 BC?)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GUNFLINT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (16th Century - 1582 AD to 1600 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Quinn, S. and Peachey, A. 2012. Land off Brandon Road and Watton Road, Swaffham, Norfolk. An Archaeological Evaluation (Field Survey). Archaeological Solutions. 4025. |
Related records - none
Find out more...