Record Details

NHER Number:28554
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Rectory


Set in about two acres of land with a large sweet chestnut tree on its front lawn, this is a late 18th century former rectory, now a private house. The central part of the building is reputed to have been built just after the Great Fire of 1770, which destroyed the thatched roof of the former parsonage.The façade of the current house is three storeys high with three window bays, a mid 19th century two storey wing to the right, and an 18th century two storey service wing to its left. Inside can be found impressive and complete 19th century interiors, and a vaulted undercroft.
To the southwest is the former rectory barn (NHER 38170), with a datestone of 1731 and the initials T.A., for Thomas Astley, the Rector at the time. The barn was extended (by another Astley Rector) in 1853 to form a fire engine house, the parish fire engine having been kept in the church beforehand.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 034 251
Map Sheet:TG02NW

Full description

(S1) description notes as late 18th century, three bays three storeys, two storey mid 19th century bay to right, two story 18th century service wing to left. Brick and pantiles.
Ground floor of façade has two sash windows in central bay and floors above have rounded window to central bay with pediment above; other windows are sash. Pediment is mid 19th century addition.
Complete 19th century interiors
(S2) states that central section dates from after the Foulsham fire of 1770; north part is older, southern part is of 1862. 19th century kitchen and bathroom fittings survive.
To southwest is the former rectory barn dated 1731 with TA for Thomas Astley, called the Tithe Barn in (S1). Five blocked openings to churchyard and honeycomb ventilators. Attached is fire engine house of 1853.
Press cuttings (S2) and (S3) in file
E. Rose (NLA), 8 November 1991.

Source [1] states that reference [1] is correct. Part of the house is pre-Fire. It also has a vaulted undercroft.
E. Rose (NLA), 7 April 2000.

Monument Types

  • UNDERCROFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FIRE STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TITHE BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • UNDERCROFT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 471.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. Grand old rectory has family feel. 8 November.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Glimpse of gracious living in old rectory. 19 September.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service