|Type of record:||Building|
A 17th century house, enlarged in the 18th century and with 19th century alterations. The well house dates from the 1830s, and is built of reused medieval stonework taken from the ruins of St Edmund's Church, NHER 8694.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4991 1138|
|Parish:||WEST CAISTER, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
House. Double pile. 2 storeys and dormers, seven bays.
17th century origins, contains several sunk quadrant moulded beams with tongue stops. Remodelled and enlarged 18th century in brick. 19th century alterations.
Semicircular porch on columns with eagle on roof above. Gable stacks to front pile.
In garden a well house probably of 1830s with reused 15th century window tracery from ruined parish church (NHER 8694) also a memorial plaque from church, and arms of Great Yarmouth. Pantiled roof.
Information from (S1), both structures listed grade II
This is the same site as 'fragments from the church in the garden of the Canons (sic)' mentioned by (S2).
(S3) mentions in addition backs of pews used to panel a bathroom, tiles and stonework in the house from the church, which it wrongly calls a nunnery. Two cannons in grounds salvaged from a Napoleonic wreck, replacing previous examples.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 September 1991.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WELL HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CANNON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 717. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1216610. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 389. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: 1991. Eastern Daily Press. 8 March. |
Related records - none
Find out more...