|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period metal and pottery finds|
Metal detecting in 1990 recovered a medieval copper alloy figure of Christ. Also found were Saxon pottery fragments.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 78 95|
|Parish:||CRANWICH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
24 April 1990.Metal detecting at 23 cms depth.
Bronze headless figure of Christ crucified with two rivet holes. 13th century, originally enamelled, keying in the waistband. Limoges. Completely (except for an arm) covered in crumbling iron pan. Polaroid NCM. On surface around findspot, Late Saxon Thetford ware rim sherd.
Identified by (metalwork) J. Cherry BM(MLA) and S. Margeson (NCM); pottery identified by W.Milligan (NCM).
W. Milligan (NCM) May 1990.
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BOX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CRUCIFIX (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FIGURINE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources - none
Related records - none
Find out more...