|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||7 St Giles Street|
This former office is now a cafe. It dates to 1899-1900 and is made from yellow ochre-coloured terracotta on a granite base with a plain tile roof. It occupies a corner site and the 20th century ground floor front conceals parts of an earlier facade. There is a blue diamond frieze below a Corinthian cornice. The office was built for the Norfolk Daily Standard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 22851 08584|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
April 1986. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description excerpt:
"Former office now cafe. 1899-1900. G.S. Skipper. Yellow ochre coloured terra cotta on granite base. Plain tile roof. Two storeys plus attic storey. Corner site. 20th-century ground floor front concealing parts of earlier façade...Circular corner turret with mullion and transom windows and domes. Square end turret with rectangular top lights and a pagoda roof with finial.
The office was built for the Norfolk Daily Standard."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
P. Watkins (HES), 16 March 2021.
- OFFICE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1899 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 315. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Look up and admire the man. 21 December. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1290700. |
|Mon 1400||Parent of: 2-6 Upper Goat Lane (Monument)|
|Mon 1479||Part of: Nether Newport, St Giles Street (Monument)|
|Mon 1325||Part of: Upper Goat Lane (Stonegate Parva) (Monument)|
Find out more...