|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Southery|
This church was built in 1858 to replace the old church (NHER 2590). It is a neat building made from Carstone slips and Bath Stone dressings. The square west tower has a broached spire and plate-tracery window. Inside, it contains a bell of 1747 and a plate from old church. Additionally, the base of the 15th century village cross now stands in the churchyard.
|Grid Reference:||TL 62194 94604|
|Parish:||SOUTHERY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Built 1858 to replace old church (NHER 2590).
Contains bell of 1747, plate from old church, a small brass. Village cross base now in yard. Both latter came from old church, though Haslop also states they were found in a dyke (see file, NHER 2590).
E. Rose (NAU) 27 July 1981.
Brass is of 1639 (photo in file) and is slightly different from wording given by (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 24 February 1982.
Crossbase is 15th century carved with shields on three sides - Ordnance Survey card 1973.
E. Rose (NAU) 25 April 1985.
Listed Grade II.
E. Rose (NAU) 30 January 1986.
Photos in file.
See biography of Reverend A. E.Julius in file explaining his reasons for building a new church, how a memorial screen in his honour has vanished and been replaced by a war memorial screen, and how an anchor on his grave also seems to have vanished.
E. Rose (NLA) 4 November 2002.
The foundation stone was laid on 11 September 1858. The architect was John Robinson described as a 'promising young thing' of London, the son of Mr Robinson of Southery. The builders were Bennetts of Lynn.
E. Rose (NLA) 23 April 2003.
See (S2) for a history of the church.
S. Howard (NLA), 7 May 2010.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL6294A-B, D-H. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1904. Hundred of Clackclose. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIII. pp 234-239. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Public Record Office. 2002. Individual Report. |
|---||Unpublished Document: 1858. Minutes of the West Norfolk Ecclesiastical Architectural Society. Meeting Minutes. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 69 SW 13 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 663. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Photograph: BPG 5-8. |
|<S1>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1807. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol VII. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Legge, J.. 2008. A little history of Southery and its churches. |
Related records - none
Find out more...