|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Winspurs Farm barns|
Two grand threshing barns dated to the period before 1780, and a later south projection. It has been suggested that the name is connected with smuggling.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2324 3760|
|Parish:||NORTHREPPS, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Three barns. Brick and flint, thatched roofs, forming L-shaped group. Small late 17th century barn, flint plinth, brick gables with various altered openings. Large barn added at right angles, five bays, tiebeams on arched braces, collar beams, two tiers butt purlins with windbraces to upper tier. Large central doorway. Gable shared with third barn; roof of this has tiebeams with some arched braces, two tiers of butt purlins, upper with windbraces (S1). Farmhouse not listed.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 August 1989.
According to source the farm was a centre for smugglers in the Napoleonic period, the name coming from smugglers 'winning their spurs' after two successful missions. . (S2) reads 'Winsper F.'
D.Gurney (NLA), 14 August 1997.
Detailed inspection confirms that there are two grand 18th century barns end to end with original roofs, but the smaller projection listed as 17th century is clearly an addition. Its brickwork must therefore be of misleading appearance.
See report (S3) in file, and plans (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 February 2004.
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2004. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S4>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
Related records - none
Find out more...