Record Details

NHER Number:2503
Type of record:Monument
Name:Wry Necked Mill


This is the site of a post medieval drainage pump known as Wry Necked Mill that is marked on Faden's map of 1797. Two mills are shown on an early 19th century Ordnance Survey map. An early 19th century house now stands on the site, and there is now no trace of either mill.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 5600 9663
Map Sheet:TL59NE

Full description

Wry-Necked Mill (drainage pump) on (S1).
2 mills shown on (S2).
E. Rose (NAU).

Before demolition of house now on site, visit by NIAS found no trace of either mill.
See (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 14 November 1996.

December 2004.
In the event the demolition was not carried out in 1996.
Small brick house aligned east to west, very irregular bond, bricks with horizontal skintlings. Test holes reveal that house has literally no foundations, and has cracked in several places. South front had central door (now blocked) with window to each side on each floor; door led to central passage. Two rooms on each floor at rear as well, also stairs; northeast room has cast iron range, external-type window into front room, and access to later north extension now gone. Internal gable stack to west end, two external stacks to east end. One good cast iron fireplace. Date probably about 1800. Confirmed no trace of mills.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 December 2004.

Monument Types

  • DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S3>Correspondence: Manning, D.J.. 1996. Letter. 9 October.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service