Record Details

NHER Number:24937
Type of record:Building
Name:The Grange, Lynn Road


Set in five acres of landscaped gardens with frontage onto the River Nar, this is a handsome late 18th or early 19th century brick country house, once home to Lord Evershed, Master of the Rolls. The south front is three storeys high with a central columned doorway under a pedimented fanlight. To the right of this is a 19th century two storey canted bay. On the west façade is a similar bay, this time to the full height of the house. Later additions are to the north.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6369 1324
Map Sheet:TF61SW

Full description

July 1951. Listed, Grade II.
Country House, brick with slate roof.
South front three storeys (top smaller) in three bays.
Central door with pedimented fanlight on engaged columns. Sash windows, skewback arches, scalloped hoods.
19th century canted bay on two storeys right of door.
Parapet hides hipped roof. Two symmetrical stacks on rear roof slope.
West façade of one bay with 18th and 19th century extensions to left.
Porticoed doorway, one sash window on each floor above. Full height 19th century canted bay added to left.
See (S1) for the complete listing details.

Sale advertisement November 1988 dates as early 19th century. See file for newspaper advertisement (S1). Further press cuttings (S2) to (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 November 1988.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 788.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342303.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988-1995. Sale advertisements for The Grange, Setchey].
<S3>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990-1995. [Sale advertisements for The Grange, Setchy].

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service