|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi period finds on Thetford Bypass|
Fieldwalking in 1988-1989 recovered a range of objects, including prehistoric flint flakes, Roman coins, a Saxon brooch, medieval coins and a buckle, and a post medieval thimble.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 87 85|
|Parish:||CROXTON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
25 May 1988. Fieldwalking of stripped bypass line. Chainage 5730 to 6060.
Total of eighteen flint flakes. One core.
Four flakes occurred in area 1 m across at chainage 5760.
Five flakes in area 5 m across at 5830.
Three flakes in area 2 m across at 5950.
Finds by A. Gregory (NCM).
Later finds. Finder's map 9 nos.103. On heap of topsoil.
D-shaped moulded buckle, decorated on resting bar. 13th century.
Two post medieval thimbles.
See details in file.
A. Rogerson October (NAU) 1988
September to October 1989. From area of additional carriageway, context 2.
Prehistoric flint flake.
Roman coin of Valentinian.
Early Saxon penannular brooch (S1).
3 medieval short cross pennies.
Two medieval copper alloy belt-plates and medieval gilt strap-end (S1).
See lists and map in file.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM) and D. Gurney (NAU).
A. Rogerson (NAU) 19 October 1989.
October/November 1989. Metal detecting.
Further finds of an Early Saxon brooch, Roman and medieval coins.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NAU) 17 November 1989.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CORE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STUD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- THIMBLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Photograph: FHL 18-20. |
Related records - none
Find out more...